Friday, December 25, 2009

Hearts on Fire


Yep...happened! After 3 years I finally decided to put a few rocks on the girl's finger, and I ain't talkin' granite. I had been casually looking at rings for a little while, but after researching and seeing the ring pictured above I finally buckled down and shopped, and decided to pull the trigger about a week ago. It is truly gorgeous, she loves it, and I am practically a certified gemologist. I know more about the 4 C's than I ever thought I would...

Although I was fairly set on a Hearts on Fire diamond, they are only carried by 7 jewelers in the entire state of Colorado, so I decided to at least browse some other options. I made a trip to Shane Company. After all, Tom Shane's radio commercials are awesome, who doesn't want a friend in the diamond business? Let the story begin.

Upon walking into Shane Co. I was greeted by an indoor water fountain and hotel lobby-esc type setting. Is this a Marriott? CasaBonita? Some type of spa? Hmmmmm. Nope, jewelery store. The girl attempting to help me was nice, I would come to call her my Not So Helpful Helper, but I could have given her a 30 minute lecture on sales and service. As I browsed their rings and diamonds, many of which appeared very nice (and I know via the radio that Shane hand selects his diamonds from the dealers in Thailand...), I was accompanied to my left by a man wearing cowboy boots and a cowboy hat and a guy to my right in some type of baggy sweatsuit. Where the hell am I, I thought to myself. Is this a rodeo or am I at 24 hour fitness?

After about 5 minutes or so, out of nowhere the cowboy was replaced by a large and in charge newly engaged lady. I felt like I was at a black jack table in Vegas; we are all staring at one case full of loot and new players were constantly coming and going. The girl pulled out her engagement ring and excitingly proclaimed to my NSHH that she just got engaged the night before. Congratulations my NSHH said. Then the girl pulled out her ring and said "but the diamond fell out today." The ring this girl was toting rivaled that of a Super Bowl ring in terms of size, with the cheese and gaudiness factor of a vending machine pendant. Hmmmmmm, this does not seem like a good sign I thought to my self. I decided to browse a bit more. Upon turning around there were more players at the table; a kid with a mohawk and dyed hair and a guy in a Harley Shirt. Alright I thought to myself...I'm out.

Somewhat laughing as I drove away from my NSHH and my potential friend in the diamond business, I steered my Subaru back toward my safe haven, my jeweler in Boulder.

I ended up purchasing the ring I had wanted from stage 1, the Hearts on Fire Bridal Three Leaf. I had the diamond I wanted over-nighted from Boston, and was able to get it set in time to propose before Katie went home to see all of her friends and family for the holidays!

1 comment:

  1. Best story ever! It's comical, yet romantic... some may say a romantic comedy of sorts. The ring is beautiful and looks perfect on Katie's finger! Can't wait to see you on Thurs!

    ReplyDelete