Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Old Girl Needs a Tune Up

Quickly and surely this blur of a week is coming to an apex called Christmas. In the midst, I decided to add some pressure to the holiday season by getting some work done on my car. I like to think I can fix a lot of things on my car as well as Katie's, but in actuality, a car does not operate like a bike...thus I do not know how to fix it. However, there is a good feeling about getting dirty and working on a car. My philosophy is attempt to fix it to the point where it is entirely broken and needs to be replaced, then you don't feel like a failure, it was simply a shotty piece or part to begin with.

Even after 3 years I still think Katie believes I know a decent amount about cars, and I am striving to keep it that way, it makes me feel manly. I do things like change the oil, replace bulbs, fill windshield washer fluid, put new wiper blades on, and install CD players, but when it comes to repairs that actually matter...I have no idea what I am doing. I always tell her I can't do it because we don't have a garage (that's setting myself up for failure once we get a house.) So why does she think I know a fair amount about cars? I use generalizations when talking cars, it puts me in a position to feel manly. Here are some of the ones that have earned me the status of mechanic, guys, feel free to use them with your ladies:
  • My Mechanic Talk: "You need some radiator work done baby, let me put on my Carhartts and I will take care of it for you."
  • Translation: "I am going to top off your coolant."
  • My Mechanic Talk: "Something does not feel right with the handling and steering of your car baby, let me put on my Carhartts and I will take care of it for you."
  • Translation: "I am going to put air in your tires."
  • My Mechanic Talk: "Damn German cars are so hard to find parts for, no one sells what you need, I could not even find it on the internet."
  • Translation: "I do not know how to the repair, better take it to the shop."
After using my first line the other day about coolant with her VW, I decided to pop the hood on the old grocery getter and check the coolant level there as well.

I peered at the coolant reservoir, damn that thing must be dirty I said to myself, I can't see the line. Can't see the line can you Russ? I wiped it off with my bare hands and rubbed the dirt on my Carhartts, once again, manly. I bounced the car a little bit to move the liquid...nothing. I popped it open and peered inside. Zilch, nada, nothing, the reservoir was bone dry. Hmmmm. I hopped online to troubleshoot it. According to the web, I might have a leak in my radiator. It wanted to know if I hit anything or drove over anything recently. Scanning brain.......ohhhh, I did get stuck after driving over those three boulders in Indian Peak Wilderness...bingo.

Fearing my car would overheat or more likely freeze, I scheduled the appointment, and as of 5:00PM today I should have a new windshield and a well functioning radiator!

1 comment: